Federal Work-Study Off-Campus

The Federal Work-Study Program offers eligible students the opportunity to earn money to help defray their educational expenses through part-time employment. CSUSB will attempt to place students with Off-campus employers in educationally beneficial positions. Placement may be in public institutions or in non-profit or profit-making enterprises. Pay rates will be comparable to those paid for similar positions within the employing organization.

Students who are awarded Work-Study and wish to work Off-campus may view available jobs at CareerLaunch.

Work-Study students should approach this assignment with a sense of responsibility that would be expected in any job. Salaries range from $11.00 to $17.78 per hour. The maximum hours a Work-Study student may work is 20 hours per week.

Pre-Hiring Process

  1. 1. Students and supervisors are required to complete and pass the on-line tutorial prior to completing the hiring process.
  2. Some student employees are required to complete a background check prior to employment if employed in any of the following areas:
    • Be in regular contact with minors
    • Access to stored criminal offender record information
    • Access to patients, drugs or medication

Hiring Instructions for Off Campus Placement

  1. Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to determine eligibility to participate in the Work-Study Program. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will provide the student with a Work Authorization and Terms of Employment.
  2. View job listings at CareerLaunch.
  3. Contact prospective employer to arrange an interview.
  4. Take "Work Authorization and Terms of Employment" to the interview to validate eligibility to participate in the Federal Work-Study program. Both student and supervisor must complete and sign the Work Authorization and Terms of Employment.
  5. Take the following items to the Student Employment at SH-119. The hiring process cannot be completed without all of these items.
    • Work Authorization and Terms of Employment
    • Un-laminated social security card
    • State driver's license, ID or Coyote One Card
    • Routing Slip
  6. Complete the appropriate payroll forms at Student Employment.
  7. Take the "stamped" routing slip to your supervisor. The routing slip serves as confirmation to your supervisor that you have completed the hiring process and may begin working.

Off-Campus Postings

The Federal Work-Study Program provides an opportunity for students who need financial assistance to earn a portion of their college expenses through part-time Off-Campus employment. Off-Campus employers who are interested in the program please complete the form below and submit to Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.